Sun | Jun 20, 2021

Grieving Trinidadian mayor arrives in Jamaica

Published:Thursday | June 14, 2012 | 12:00 AM

Adrian Frater, News Editor

Western Bureau:

A grieving Marlene Coudray, the mayor of San Fernando in Trinidad, arrived in Jamaica yesterday with the dental records of her daughter Michelle Coudray-Greaves, who is missing and feared dead.

"We hope to meet with the mayor as soon as she settles in," Superintendent Steve Brown, one of the police investigators, told The Gleaner.

He said that with the dental records of Coudray-Greaves, the police "will now be able to pursue our investigations in terms of ascertaining the identity of the burnt body".

Charred human remains believe to be that of 39-year-old Coudray-Greaves were found in a cane field on the outskirts of Montego Bay.

Friends of the missing woman are convinced the body is hers, saying a bracelet found at the scene and the dental braces look familiar.

Coudray-Greaves, a mother of three, was last seen in Montego Bay last Friday.

Yesterday evening, Mayor Coudray, who was clad in full black and had a distressed look on her face, arrived at the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay at 3:55 and was greeted by Dr Iva Gloudon, the Trinidad and Tobago high commissioner to Jamaica.

Some of Coudray-Greaves' close friends were also at the airport to welcome the grieving mother.

While the mayor was shielded away from the media at the airport, The Gleaner managed to get close to her at the hotel, where she was greeted by her daughter's close friends Richard and Constance Bogle, as well as educator Gina Haughton, who was also Coudray-Greaves' landlady.

Sad time

"It is really a sad time for her and she is taking it quite hard," said Constance Bogle, Coudray-Greaves' best friend in Jamaica for more than 15 years.

"As a friend, I am really hurting, so you can imagine how she is feeling as a mother."

Coudray-Greaves, who resided in a rented property at Cornwall Courts in Montego Bay, recently completed a period of temporary employment as teacher of Spanish and French at Cornwall College and was in negotiation with the school to fill another vacancy in September.

Trinidad and Tobago's Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar and members of her Cabinet visited with Mayor Coudray prior to her departure to Jamaica.

Seeking Speedy resolution

In the meantime, Information Minister Sandrea Falconer told The Gleaner yesterday that the Jamaican Government has sought to assure the mayor that "whatever resources we could put towards the investigation of this case, that we would, and that we would ensure a speedy resolution of the case.

"As you can well imagine, it is a very difficult time for the mayor ... . it is a painful event for her, it is her first visit to Jamaica and it is under a circumstance like this," Falconer said.

The minister said the police, who are continuing their investigations, have indicated that a person of interest has been identified.

"It is also my understanding that an autopsy was done today and they were waiting on dental records, and once they get those, they will be able to see if they will be able to positively identify the body," Falconer said.