New accused still not charged for Irwin Point rapes
Senior Superintendent of Police Egbert Parkins, the commanding officer for the St James police, says the three men recently arrested in connection with the 2011 rape of five females in Irwin Point have still not been charged as investigators await DNA results.
"The investigation continues at this point in time. We are just awaiting some DNA results, but nobody has been charged up to this time," Parkins told The Gleaner.
Yesterday, it was suggested in other sections of the media that one of the three detainees who was recently picked up following the reopening of the case by the police had been charged.
During a recent press conference, Assistant Commis-sioner of Police Warren Clarke, the commanding officer for Area One, announced that three new suspects had been taken into custody in connection with the September 24, 2012, incident that sparked national outrage.
The five females taken from their home and raped included an eight-year-old girl.
"A number of individuals were apprehended and they will be placed on identification parades," Clarke had told reporters at the press conference.
Following intense police investigations by senior detectives brought in from Kingston immediately following the assault on the females, two brothers, Kerron and Sheldon Brissett, were arrested and charged in connection with the case.
However, the brothers, who voluntarily gave the investigators DNA samples, were freed of the charges on July 22 last year after the DNA results failed to place them at the scene.