Sun | Jun 4, 2023

My son is scared of going to court

Published:Tuesday | May 27, 2014 | 12:00 AM

ASK Orlean Brown-Earle

My 10-year-old son was visiting relatives down the road when he and others witnessed a hold-up. The community members caught the thief, and now my son is scared that he will have to go to court. How do I calm him down?

A: Share with your son that what he doing is helping his community and his country when he helps to put the bad guys away. Encourage him to do what is right and go with him to court. Support him every step of the way.

My daughter is now showing a preference for the gay lifestyle. She is 17. Just a few weeks ago, she introduced me to a nice young man. I think I am confused. How can I stop her from switching like this?

A: Simply share with your daughter your belief system and let her know that she should get to know people before she gets romantically entangled. She seems to be searching. If you are not comfortable with speaking with her on the topic, guide her to a psychologist who would be able to counsel her.

I am uncomfortable with the pace of the gay lifestyle in Jamaica. I think our children will be going that way without thinking. It reminds me of the 1970s when every rebellious child was turning rasta. How can we help our nation? Is it wrong for me to put out my 17-year-old, who does not practise my beliefs and values?

A: Our children are more exposed to a variety of issues now and will have more opportunities to make different choices than we ever will or did. We can help our children by being available to them when they are asking questions about various issues and not being harsh when we disagree with their opinions. If at age 17, your child's behaviour offends you, and you can come to no amicable solution, I recommend that you seek the services of a family counsellor.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!