Mon | Nov 29, 2021

Where's my baby? Family's search continues days after 3-y-o vanishes

Published:Wednesday | June 25, 2014 | 12:00 AM
A distressed Yanisha Brown.
Kris-Nieve Bloomfield (forefront), father of three-year-old Samunya, leads members of the Old Harbour police investigating team in a search for the missing child on Tuesday. - Photos by Jermaine Barnaby/Photographer
Samunya Bloomfield

Martin Baxter, Gleaner Writer

The pattering of little footsteps, a child's laughter, singing, and occasional crying - all sounds that breathed life into the green board house in Grove Farm, St Catherine - have been replaced by a deafening silence.

The quietness occupying Yanisha Brown's two-bedroom home in Old Harbour was yesterday mixed with a solemn disposition that its occupants have been forced to wear since the household's firstborn, three-year-old Samunya Bloomfield, vanished without a trace minutes before midnight last Friday.

On arrival at the cosy yard with two houses standing beside each other, The Gleaner was told the distraught mother of two would soon be out. Almost bedridden by the tragedy that has befallen her small family unit of four, the slow-moving 22-year-old stepped out on to the veranda in a vibrant multicoloured dress that contradicted her mood.

She cut a broken figure as she tried to compose herself and conjure the strength to recount how her family came to be missing its life and soul.

"My babies were on the bed sleeping, both of them. I have a bath and I get out of the bathroom and I still have to pass them, and I stop on the way and I fix them on the bed," she explained, her voice cracking with exhaustion and raw emotion.

After falling asleep at 11 p.m., Yanisha awoke around midnight to use the bathroom and noticed her elder daughter, whom she affectionately called 'Poochy', was gone, along with her cell phone.


"I went to see if I could use the bathroom and come back, and when I enter the room, I didn't see Poochy on the bed, so I turn back inside my room because normally, if she gets up in the night, that's where she would come and curl up in the middle, or she would wake us up. I start calling and I start to look for her when I really saw that she wasn't in the house. I went to the front door, and when I opened it, the lock flied. The door was still closed."

Yanisha's common-law husband, 28-year-old Kris-Nieve Bloomfield, was out of the house at the time, but he rushed back home on hearing that his daughter, who will celebrate her fourth birthday on July 2, was missing and called the police.

"That question bubbling over and over in me: 'Why?'" he mumbled to The Gleaner.

"Not even words can explain. Mi can't even find the words still. Mi nah tek any odda option. Dem gwine find mi daughter."

Neighbour and sister of the missing girl's father, Tashana Henry, was left distressed and despondent about the disappearance of Poochy, who often played with her youngest child, two-year-old Amari.

"I feel so depressed, so low. I just want mi niece to come back home, to mek our little family right here happy again because she was the centre of my world. She was the daughter that I didn't have."

An officer at the Old Harbour Police Station told The Gleaner that the case was a top priority.

"A unit, a team is devoted to that particular case since the child was reported missing," the officer said.

He confirmed that no motives or suspects had been identified but that the police had received information regarding the three-year-old's disappearance and that forensic investigations were ongoing.

Anyone with any information regarding the whereabouts of Samunya Bloomfield are asked to call 119 or the Old Harbour police station on 983-2255.