Wed | Mar 22, 2023

My neighbour's son is mentally ill

Published:Tuesday | July 1, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Orlean Brown-Earle, ask the doc

How do I help a family whose child has mental-health problems? My neighbour's son, age 14, is very vicious. He fights children and is very rough. He has no friends. The neighbours will not accept my recommendation for him to get counselling.

A You have been a very responsible adult and done what is expected of you. Encourage your neighbours to get their son some help. Encourage them to get him involved in clubs at school, church or in the community. This may help his social skills.

How do I choose which summer programme to send my child to? She will be going into fourth form in September. I want her to get another experience other than her own school. How can I make a decision?

A You should make a list of the schools and interview coordinators to ensure they meet your expectations.

My children, 12 and 14, love the sciences and I hope to find a summer science programme for them here in St Elizabeth, but none is available. Do you know of any?

A You should contact a science teacher at one of the local high schools and see if you can plan a programme with him or her. I am sure when you advertise it, other parents will show an interest.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems, throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!