Tue | Dec 7, 2021

No belt, no travel

Published:Saturday | July 26, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Spanish Town Hospital nurses demand better protection in ambulances

Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter

NURSES AT the Spanish Town Hospital in St Catherine have refused to accompany patients to the Kingston Public Hospital (KPH) in emergency vehicles, as the ambulances are reportedly without seatbelts, they say, putting the lives of medical staff at risk.

The members of the nursing staff are said to be incensed with the management of the organisation, as repeated requests to have seatbelts installed in emergency vehicles have apparently fallen on deaf ears.

A reliable source at the hospital told The Gleaner that two nurses sustained injuries, this week, while patients were being transported in ambulances to the KPH.

According to the source, on Wednesday night, a nurse received injuries after the driver of the ambulance had to apply the brakes suddenly to avoid collision with a police car which was parked with lights flashing on Spanish Town Road. It is reported that no seatbelt was in the vehicle to restrain the nurse who got hurt.

According to reports, the nurse had to be hospitalised at the KPH for treatment following the incident.

Another nurse injured

Thursday night, another nurse suffered a similar fate when she sustained injuries while travelling in an ambulance with a patient to the KPH. Again, it is reported the ambulance came to a stop suddenly and the nurse who had no seatbelt to restrain her was injured.

When contacted for comment on the matter yesterday, senior medical officer at the institution, Dr Eidel Brown, directed The Gleaner to the chief executive officer (CEO) and the hospital administrator for comment.

Asked to comment on the incidents, Dr Brown would only say: "Everybody's safety and life is important to me."

Dr Brown was also asked whether he would make representation to the CEO on behalf of the nurses so that the situation can be remedied. In a terse response, Dr Brown said: "That's a part of my responsibility; that's what I am paid for."

Attempts to contact the CEO and hospital administrator yesterday were unsuccessful, as they were said to be out of office. The Gleaner left a message for the administrator, but the call was not returned up to news time.