Wed | Nov 29, 2023

Lawyers request station records, phone data in Deane murder case

Published:Friday | September 19, 2014 | 12:00 AM

WESTERN BUREAU: The attorneys representing the men charged with the beating death of construction worker Mario Deane, who was assaulted while in police custody, yesterday asked the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court for several documents required for preparation of their defence.

"I would like to make an application for the medical journal," attorney-at-law Everton Dewar, who is representing Adrian Morgan, told presiding magistrate Carolyn Tie.

" … The journal that the officers kept, from July 11 to August 6, in relation to Mr Adrian Morgan, and might that application be extended to Mr Marvin Orr as well, from June 24 until today's date."

Morgan and Orr, who were both in custody at the Barnett Street Police Station at the time Deane was beaten, were subsequently charged with his murder.

"We are also requesting the duty roster at the Barnett Street Station from August 3," added Dewar.

In response, Tie asked that Dewar's request be met by today at 4 p.m.

Attorney-at-law Trevor Ho Lyn, who is part of the defence team representing Orr, asked for documents related to the ongoing investigation of the police personnel who were on duty at the time of Deane's death. The documents are said to be in the possession of the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM).

Ho Lyn asked for phone records for each of the officers under investigation.


"I do not know what INDECOM is doing, so I would wish that we be kept abreast of the investigation."

Other documents which are to be submitted to complete the prosecution's case file include the post-mortem report, the forensic certificate, and a statement from the crime scene investigator.

Orr and Morgan will return to court on October 3, when the case will again be mentioned.

Mario Deane was arrested on the morning of August 3 for possession of a ganja spliff and taken to the Barnett Street Police Station. Later that same day, he was allegedly found in an unconscious state, suffering from multiple head injuries. He was taken to the Cornwall Regional Hospital, where he died on Independence Day.

Orr and Morgan were later charged.

Three police officers were interdicted and three others suspended in connection with the incident.