Tue | Jun 6, 2023

More Sports In Brief

Published:Tuesday | December 23, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Carib men on target

LONDON (CMC)Trinidadian frontman Kenwyne Jones scored his second goal in as many matches and his eighth of the season, but it was in vain as Cardiff City crashed to a 3-2 defeat to Brentford in the League Championship on Saturday.

Finding themselves 3-0 down at half-time at home at Cardiff City Stadium, the hosts mounted a second-half comeback, with the 30-year-old Jones scoring in the 75th minute to set the stage for an anxious last 15 minutes.

In League One action, Jamaica-born Canada international Simeon Jackson was on target for Coventry to snatch a late 1-1 draw against Fleetwood.

Defender Andy Webster headed into his own nets after 19 minutes to put Fleetwood ahead, a lead that held until deep into the contest.

However, Jackson sneaked in at the back post in the 80th minute to steer in Gary Madine's header, following on from Matthew Pennington's cross, to give the hosts a share of the points.

At Deepdale, Jamaica international Jermaine Beckford's brilliance in first half stoppage was enough to see Preston North End past Peterborough 1-0.

Warner will be fit

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP):Opening batsman Dave Warner says an injured thumb will not prevent him playing in Australia's third cricket Test against India from Friday.

Warner was struck on the thumb while batting in the second innings of the second Test at Brisbane but told reporters yesterday he will not be forced out of the Boxing Day Test.

He said "I will definitely be playing. I will be doing everything I can. Obviously it's a bit painful, it's the one I broke before, but I'm not missing a Boxing Day Test, that's for sure."

After losing captain Michael Clarke for the series with a hamstring injury, Australia lost all-rounder Mitch Marsh when he suffered a strained hamstring during the Brisbane Test. Marsh's place will be taken by Queensland batsman Joe Burns, who will make his Test debut.

Bodysuit mystery solved?

SYDNEY (AP):The bodysuit worn by Australian sprinter Cathy Freeman when she lit the flame at the opening of the 2000 Sydney Olympics may have been recovered 14 years after it disappeared from her dressing room.

Melbourne police said today they had taken possession of an item which might be the missing bodysuit. It was handed to police by a staff member of the Melbourne Cricket Club who received it anonymously and has been sent for forensic testing to determine its authenticy.

Freeman removed the suit after the opening ceremony and left it in her dressing room from which it disappeared, creating one of the mysteries of Australian Olympic history.

The Australian Olympic Committee said it is "hoping the item of clothing handed to the MCC Museum is authentic and the mystery is finally solved."