Jamaica seeks extradition in car mart murder
Chad Bryan, Staff Reporter
Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Paula Llewellyn has said the Jamaican police have requested the extradition of the second suspect linked to the shooting death of Payless Car Mart manager Robert Mendez.
The 41-year-old businessman was shot dead by two men who posed as customers at his car mart on Maxfield Avenue on April 1 last year.
The attack was captured on closed-circuit television and was shared on Facebook, YouTube and other social-media sites.
Last year, head of the Major Investigation Task Force, Superintendent Michael Phipps, confirmed that the second man apprehended in the murder was held in Canada and that he was held in collaboration with police personnel overseas and local authorities.
The DPP said, some time after this, her office was contacted.
"They have asked us to facilitate administratively. We have made a request for his extradition from Canada. All the paperwork, we have completed. I would have to try and get an update in respect to what is happening over there," Llewellyn said.
She added: "The documents were prepared according to the protocol and sent to Canada. We are waiting on the Canadian authorities. He is in custody over there. The matter has to go through the courts for the courts to make the necessary order for him to be returned to Jamaica. That is what we are waiting on," Llewellyn said, adding that she could not give a timeline as to when he would return.
A first For Canada
The DPP added that, to the best of her knowledge, this would be the first time a Jamaican would be extradited from Canada.
She noted that Jamaica has had good working relations with Canada as well as other international partners.
The other suspect identified as 42-year-old John Jarrett, otherwise known as 'Tucker', was charged with murder, conspiracy to murder, robbery with aggravation, and illegal possession of firearm, and was brought before the Gun Court of the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court.