Tue | Jul 27, 2021

Swift intervention stopped ministry database hackers

Published:Wednesday | May 29, 2013 | 5:51 PM

Edmond Campbell, Senior Staff Reporter



The Technology Ministry is giving the assurance that proper safeguards have been put in place, to prevent a recurrence of hacking into the systems of four key agencies of Government, which occoured earlier this year.




State minister with responsibility for Technology Julian Robinson said the hacking into the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Attorney General's Department, the Court Management system and the Ministry of Justice in February was quickly thwarted by a team of experts.



Robinson told journalists at a post Sectoral Debate press conference that the swift intervention by the ministry with assistance from the private sector restored the integrity of the affected public agencies.



He said the ministry had mobilised a team of local experts within an hour and immediately went to the agencies and cut off the access gained by the hackers.



Robinson said since then the technology ministry has met with critical public bodies and agencies to boost their security measures to prevent incidents of hacking.



Robinson noted that the Cyber Emergency Response Team which is set for implementation in December would assist in protecting the country's Internet infrastructure.



He said this would be done by coordinating defences against responses to cyber attacks or threats.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:




Like our new Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica



Follow us on Twitter

http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner



onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com