Man accused of killing former JUTC chair further remanded
Barabra Gayle, Justice Coordinator
Twenty-eight-year-old Andre Bryan, who is charged with the murder of former chairman of the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC), Douglas Chambers, is to return to the Home Circuit Court on June 14 when a bail application will be made.
The date was set yesterday when he appeared in court.
Chambers was fatally shot at the gate of JUTC's Spanish Town depot on June 28, 2008 when he went to purchase cigarettes.
Today Attorney-at-Law Valerie Neita Robertson, who is representing Bryan, argued that her client has been in custody since 2010 and so far no trial date has been set.
Neita Robertson said based on the caseload, she's asking that the prosecution to be given time to read the statements in the case.
She said under the Constitution her client has rights and should not be taken before the court just to punish him.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:
Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner