Wed | Dec 1, 2021

Bail application to be made in former JUTC chairman murder case

Published:Friday | June 14, 2013 | 9:06 AM

A bail application is expected to be made today when the 28-year-old man charged with the murder of former chairman of the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC), Douglas Chambers, returns to the Home Circuit Court.



Today’s date was set when Andre Bryan appeared in court on Monday.



Chambers was fatally shot at the gate of JUTC's Spanish Town depot on June 28, 2008 when he went to purchase cigarettes.



On Monday, Bryan’s attorney, Valerie Neita Robertson, argued that her client has been in custody since 2010 and so far no trial date has been set.



Neita Robertson said based on the caseload, she's asking that the prosecution be given time to read the statements in the case.



She said under the Constitution her client has rights and should not be taken before the court just to punish him.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:




Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica



Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner



onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com