Sun | Jun 20, 2021

Juveniles removed from Horizon Adult Remand Centre

Published:Friday | July 5, 2013 | 7:06 PM

National Security Minister Peter Bunting, has announced that all female juveniles have now been removed from the Horizon Adult Remand Centre.



Earlier this year, Bunting committed to completing the separation of juveniles from adults by year end.



Bunting made the announcement after a tour with the new Commissioner of Corrections, Jevene Bent, at the New Broughton Sunset Adult Correctional Centre, on the final leg of her tour of correctional facilities in St Elizabeth and Manchester.



During his Sectoral Debate presentation in June 2013,Bunting committed to having the five remaining juveniles in the facility removed, noting that the number of female wards at Horizon had been dramatically reduced from 30 in June 2012.



Additionally, the number of female juveniles at Fort Augusta has been reduced to 39, down from 44 at the time of the Bunting's presentation in Parliament and down from 74 in the previous year.



"No more juveniles will be sent to Horizon going forward, and the overall reduction shows that the diversion policy of this Administration is working to minimize the number of juveniles who end up in correctional facilities,” Bunting said.



In the meantime, Bunting said contractors have been selected and renovation work is underway at the South Camp Road facility to accommodate the remaining juveniles at Fort Augusta.



"We are aiming to relocate the juveniles from Fort Augusta by September 2013,” Bunting said.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:




Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica



Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner



onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com