US prosecutors silent on visa bribery case
Jerome Reynolds, Staff Reporter
United States prosecutors are remaining silent on their next step in relation to the Jamaican entertainer who allegedly bribed David Rainsberger, the convicted former security chief at the US Embassy in Kingston, to get back his visa.
Prosecutors at the United States Attorney's Office Eastern District of Virginia declined to comment on a request from The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre for an update into the investigation.
Rainsberger was sentenced to prison for a year in federal court on Tuesday for accepting gifts from the entertainer for helping to reinstate his US visa.
He pleaded guilty to charges of receiving unlawful gratuities and making false statements to US authorities.
The district attorney's office said it would not confirm or deny that there is an ongoing investigation into the Jamaican entertainer who prosecutors describe as well-known and only identified by the initials D.B.
It also said it could not comment on the status of the entertainer’s visa and directed our news centre to the US State Department and the US Embassy.
The embassy had previously declined our request to comment on the visa status of the entertainer and referred queries to the US Attorney's Office in Virginia.
The entertainer was barred from entering the US because of allegations of criminal conduct.
In a previous interview noted attorney Dahlia Walker-Huntington, who practises immigration law in the state of Florida, said the entertainer would automatically lose his visa and could face criminal prosecution.
She explained that any visa obtained by fraud is not valid.
And the US-based attorney said because Rainsberger was employed in a very senior and sensitive position that will automatically trigger a wide-ranging probe by US authorities.
The US embassy had stressed that the Government takes its anti-corruption mandate seriously adding that no one is above the law, even embassy employees.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: