Sat | Jun 19, 2021

New York cop accused of killing Jamaican teenager in The Bronx walks free

Published:Thursday | August 8, 2013 | 10:21 AM

The New York City Police officer accused of killing unarmed Jamaican

teenager Ramarley Graham will not face criminal charges, the New York Post

has reported.




This after a grand jury in The Bronx yesterday declined to indict the

police officer, identified as Richard Haste.



Graham was reportedly chased into his family's Wakefield home by Haste and

other undercover cops before he was fatally shot in February last year.



Reports say the 18-year-old was flushing marijuana down a bathroom drain

when he was shot by Haste, who said he believed Graham was carrying a gun.



According to the report, the grand jury's ruling left the teen's mother,

Constance Malcolm, heartbroken.



“My son is dead and this man is walking free,” she told The Post.



However, Haste's colleagues applauded the decision.



“Officer Haste felt his life was in danger. If that evidence would have

been presented properly to the grand jury, he never would have been

indicted in the first place,” said Joseph Anthony, a representative of the

Bronx Police Benevolent Association.



Haste was initially indicted on a manslaughter charge, but a Bronx judge

tossed that indictment last May after ruling that a prosecutor from the

Bronx District Attorney’s Office wrongly instructed the grand jury to

disregard whether other cops had told Haste the teen was armed.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:




Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Email us at:

onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com