$2.5m bail for taxi operator in multimillion-dollar drug bust
Forty-four-year-old taxi operator Glenroy Williams, who was arrested in a multimillion-dollar drug bust last week, has been granted $2.5 million.
The bail was offered by Resident Magistrate Judith Pusey in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate’s Court yesterday.
Williams, who is being represented by Attorney-at-Law Peter Champagnie, was ordered to return to court on September 5.
It is reported that on August 6, a police team was in the Shortwood Road area when a man was seen leaving a property.
It is further reported that the team became suspicious of the man and accosted him.
He was reportedly found with a key and was taken back to the house where he was asked to open a door to the premises.
The police said during a search 1,000 pounds of compressed ganja were found in tins labeled as callaloo.
In making the bail application Champagnie said Williams was given the key by the caretaker of the premises.
He further argued that Williams was using the house to store cigarettes, which he admitted bypassed customs, and knew nothing about the weed.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: