Sat | Jul 24, 2021

RJR gets all clear after fumes force evacuation

Published:Tuesday | August 27, 2013 | 1:46 PM

Damion Mitchell, Editor - Radio & Online



The staff of the RJR Communications Group on Lyndhurst Road in Kingston has been given the all clear to return to work after a mandatory evacuation this morning because of certain fumes.




The fumes also affected other businesses in the area.



There were no reports of injuries.



Fire personnel as well as representatives of the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) who were early on the scene said the fumes were caused by a malfunctioning forklift that was travelling on Lyndhurst Road.



Gary Campbell, Coordinator for Air Quality Management at NEPA, explained that because of the way the air conditioning units are positioned at RJR, the fumes were easily absorbed into the network.



The forklift driver, who asked not to be named, explained that he was driving the rented machine, but had to stop after the vehicle overheated.



He said minutes after he parked on Lyndhurst Road near RJR, he observed people evacuating the building.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:




Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Email us at:

onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com