Tue | Sep 21, 2021

JFJ still not satisfied after female juveniles transfer

Published:Tuesday | September 3, 2013 | 7:51 AM

Human rights lobby group Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) says it remains unsatisfied with the welfare of girls in State care despite yesterday’s Government announcement that all female juveniles have been removed from correctional facilities.



The Ministry of National Security says 61 juveniles have been removed to the newly renovated South Camp Road Correctional Facility.



However, JFJ spokesperson Susan Goffe says the organisation cannot be comfortable with the move because of what she says is a lack of information on the quality of the facility and the implementation of rehabilitative measures.



She says the Ministry or the Department of Corrections have not yet approved a request by the group to tour the facility.



JFJ and other civil groups had raised concerns that the facility is a prison and whether children can be housed there.



The JFJ is questioning if the female juveniles will be separated according to their legal status.



Goffe says information needs to be provided on whether proper educational instruction and healthcare provisions have been put in place.



The girls were previously housed at Diamond Crest Juvenile Correctional Centre and the Fort Augusta Adult Correctional Centre.



According to the Security Ministry, juveniles will be the only occupants at the South Camp Road facility for the immediate future, as the adult females will remain at Fort Augusta until further notice.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:




Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Email us at:

onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com