Fri | Dec 3, 2021

Delays in 360-megawatt project frustrate Gov't

Published:Tuesday | September 10, 2013 | 1:58 PM

The Government says it is frustrated by further delays in the 360-megawatt project.



Yesterday, the Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR) announced it had pushed back its deadline to announce a winner for the project because of unforeseen legal and other issues.



The nature of the legal issues has not been disclosed.



Energy Minister, Phillip Paulwell says the Cabinet was forced to allow the delay after a presentation from the regulators yesterday.



He says the OUR was summoned to yesterday’s meeting of the Cabinet after he received some information on the bidding process last week Friday.



Paulwell says the OUR is to meet with the Office of the Contractor General and the National Contracts Commission in relation to the issues.



He says the Cabinet expects a report from the utilities regulator next week Monday.



The OUR has indicated that it now expects to receive a final evaluation report by this Friday and notification of the highest ranked bidder will take place by September 18.



The Jamaica Manufacturers’ Association has said it is disappointed that there is another delay in the process.



The construction of the plant is expected to begin January 30 next year and commissioned in January 2016.



Four entities are vying to take on the project, which will see 360 megawatts of energy being supplied to the national grid.



WATCH: ERICA'S EDGE: PNP, JLP official geriatrics (commentary)




Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Email us at:

onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com