Cabinet considers latest report from OUR on 360 project
The Cabinet is reportedly still considering a report from the Office of Utilities Regulation, OUR, on the Government’s 360 megawatt power-supply energy project.
Last week, the utilities’ regulator blamed what it called unforeseen legal issues for extending the deadline to announce the bid winner for the project expected to significantly cut Jamaica’s energy cost.
Energy Minister, Phillip Paulwell, told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre this morning ahead of the Cabinet's meeting that any decision will form part of a press conference called for by the OUR.
"The OUR has provided me with a briefing that I will be taking to the cabinet this morning. This week, they will be making certain announcements.I really don't want to pre-empt anything this morning," said Paulwell.
Mr. Paulwell insists that all the major timelines for the project remain.
The construction of the power-supply plant is expected to begin January 30 next year and commissioned in January 2016.
The OUR was expected to announce the highest bidder for the project last Thursday but sought and received an extension from the Cabinet.
Four entities are vying to take on the project, which will see 360 megawatts of energy being supplied to the national grid.
The regulator received a final evaluation report on the bids submitted on Friday and committed to notifying of a bid winner by Wednesday.
Energize Jamaica, one of the bidders, has criticised the authority for missing another deadline for the project.
A statement from the OUR said Wednesday's press conference is being called to provide an update on several current projects.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: