Thu | Dec 9, 2021

Police cleared of more than half of INDECOM investigations

Published:Saturday | October 5, 2013 | 12:05 PM

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM), has revealed that members of the security forces were cleared of any wrongdoing in more than half of the cases it completed last month.



The oversight body says it produced 12 reports for the month of August and in eight cases it recommended that no criminal or disciplinary charges be brought against those involved.



In a statement released yesterday, INDECOM said the allegations include fatal shooting as well as shooting injuries, assault, unlawful search, neglect of duty and inducement to provide a false statement.



Three of the remaining reports have recommended that criminal charges be brought against the police personnel involved while the other report has recommended that a Coroner’s Inquest be convened.



The Coroner’s Inquest was recommended for the fatal shooting of man who the police reported that they had a warrant to search his premises.



However, INDECOM says the JCF is yet to produce the warrant.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:




Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Email us at:

onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com