Shaw issues ultimatum, declines Shadow Cabinet post for now
Defeated Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) leadership contender Audley Shaw has declined an invitation by party leader Andrew Holness to be part of his Shadow Cabinet.
The office of the JLP has named Shaw as the spokesman on finance and planning.
However, in a letter to the Opposition Leader which was copied to the media, Shaw said he would not take up the position until the matter of nomination of two deputy leaders is addressed.
Shaw is also concerned about Holness' request for the members of the Senate to resign.
According to Shaw, this is a calculated move aimed at side-lining Dr Christopher Tufton, who Holness has dropped from his new Shadow Cabinet.
SEE SHAW'S LETTER BELOW:
This confirms our discussion of even date, in which I informed you that I will not accept assignment as Shadow Minister until several issues of concern to me are cleared up.
The main issues are your expressed desire for ALL Senators to resign and the outstanding issue of the challenged legitimacy of the nomination of two Deputy Leaders.
It is clear to me that the reason for your desire to have the resignations of the Senators, is to allow for the exclusion of Dr Christopher Tufton and others who did not support you in the recent election.
In relation to the nominations of the two Deputy Leaders of Area Councils 2 and 4, there is clear evidence of the nomination of both Deputy Leaders.
In relation to Dr Tufton, you asked me to furnish you evidence of a Tara Courier receipt which conveyed the nomination forms for both yourself and Dr Tufton from Area Council 4.
These forms were subsequently delivered to the General Secretary, Dr Horace Chang by Mr Ian Murray and formally confirms that Dr Tufton was the sole person nominated for Deputy Leader at the Area Council meeting in Savanna-la-Mar, Westmoreland on September 29.
I believe that these issues are being used to pursue a non-unifying path, especially against Dr Tufton, which I find totally unacceptable.
In the circumstances, I cannot accept assignment as Shadow Minister until the two identified issues are resolved.
SEE FULL LIST OF SPOKESPERSONS (as released by the JLP):
1) ANDREW HOLNESS – LEADER OF THE OPPOSITION, EDUCATION, DEVELOPMENT & DEFENCE
2) AUDLEY SHAW - FINANCE & PLANNING
3) DERRICK SMITH - NATIONAL SECURITY
4) DR HORACE CHANG - TRANSPORT, WATER AND INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT
5) KARL SAMUDA - INDUSTRY, INVESTMENT, COMMERCE, MINING & ENERGY
6) DR KENNETH BAUGH - HEALTH
7) PEARNEL CHARLES - LABOUR, SOCIAL SECURITY & PUBLIC SERVICE
8) OLIVIA “BABSY” GRANGE - INFORMATION, YOUTH, CULTURE, SPORTS & GENDER AFFAIRS
9) SHAHINE ROBINSON - TOURISM & CRUISE SHIPPING
10) J.C. HUTCHINSON - AGRICULTURE & FISHERIES
11) EDMUND BARTLETT - FOREIGN AFFAIRS & FOREIGN TRADE
12) DESMOND McKENZIE - LOCAL GOVERNMENT, RURAL & URBAN DEVELOPMENT
13) ANDREW WHEATLEY - SCIENCE, ICT, DIGITAL SOCIETY DEVELOPMENT & THE ENVIRONMENT
14) ALEX WILLIAMS - JUSTICE/ JUSTICE SYSTEM REFORM
WATCH: Andrew keeps the crown