PM's office clarifies contractor mix-up
The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) is seeking to clarify how a de-registered contractor was awarded a contract to construct houses on behalf of the government.
On Wednesday, the minister with responsibility for information, Sandrea Falconer, announced that Cenitech Engineering Solutions Limited had been awarded two contracts.
The contracts were for the construction of houses at Stokes Hall and Hampton Court in St Thomas, under the Barracks Relocation Project of the Sugar Transformation Programme.
However, news later emerged that the company had been de-registered as a Grade 1 to 4 contractor by the National Contracts Commission 9 (NCC).
However, in a release yesterday, the OPM said the NCC had originally endorsed the award of the contracts to the company after which Cabinet gave its approval.
However, it says the NCC subsequently wrote to the Cabinet informing that it was revoking Cenitech’s registration as a Grades 1 to 4 contractor following an investigation carried out by the Contractor General.
The OPM says a letter was then dispatched to the various ministries and departments on Tuesday, but it says the information minister had not yet been advised of the issue when she made the announcement on Wednesday regarding the contract.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: