Children’s Registry wants more curfews for minors
Jerome Reynolds, Staff Reporter
The Office of the Children’s Registry (OCR) is urging the Police High Command to encourage more police divisions to implement measures promoting the safety of children.
The Office has praised commanding officer for the Kingston Western police division, Senior Superintendent Steve McGregor, for instituting a nightly curfew for children to be off the streets by 9 o’ clock.
The initiative, which came into effect on Monday, is aimed at curbing gang violence in the division.
Registrar at the OCR, Greig Smith, says similar security measures are needed across the island as part of the wider strategy of protecting children.
Smith says it would help to strengthen the Child Care and Protection Act and could also be used as a tool to combat the problem of missing children and child abuse.
He notes that more than 2,000 children were reported missing and dozens sexually abused last year.
The Registrar at the Office of the Children’s Registry has strongly condemned the brutal killing of eight-year-old Celena Edmond in Top Hill, St Thomas on Monday.
The school girl was reportedly raped and her hands bound and throat slashed.
Smith says this is a blatant reminder of the negative realities that our children face.
A suspect who was detained in relation to her death is expected to be questioned by the police today.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: