Men freed of Irwin Point rapes file for government compensation
Jerome Reynolds, Staff Reporter
The two St James men freed of the 2012 Irwin Point rape of five females have written to the Government seeking compensation.
Brothers Kerron and Sheldon Brissett wrote to the Office of the Attorney General last week to begin the process of negotiation.
Their lawyer, Lambert Johnson, has declined to disclose the amount of money being sought by the men.
However, Johnson says he is hopeful for a quick response from the government.
The attorney says the men continue to suffer a great deal and the government has a responsibility to correct the wrong which was carried out again them.
The Brissetts were arrested and charged days after the much-publicised rapes which took place in Irwin Point on September 24, 2012.
Five females, including an eight-year-old girl, were taken from their home and raped in an open lot.
While in custody, the men suffered several injuries after being beaten by a cell-mate.
They also maintained their innocence and voluntarily offered DNA samples for testing.
The results did not match the samples of the alleged rapists.
However, the prosecution still proceeded with the case.
The Brissett brothers were subsequently freed of the charges.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: