Wed | Jun 16, 2021

Tanker drivers temporarily withdraw strike threat

Published:Tuesday | March 4, 2014 | 1:42 PM

Jovan Johnson, Gleaner Writer



KINGSTON, Jamaica:

A planned protest by the islands tanker drivers has been averted.




The National Workers’ Union (NWU) says the restive tanker drivers have been instructed to continue working.



Chief Union Delegate, Cleveland Guscott, says the decision was taken after information received last night suggested that the implementation of new haulage rates had improved significantly.



He says the marketing companies could be given up to two days to show proof that they are complying with the rates agreed in January.



Last week, junior energy minister, Julian Robinson, held informal talks with stakeholders in the petroleum industry in a bid to avert a strike.



In January, the drivers went on strike to force the marketing companies to pay higher rates to haulage contractors, so that they could get an increase.



FOR MORE STORIES WATCH




Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Email: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com