Sun | Aug 1, 2021

McKenzie wants follow-up probe on NSWMA operations

Published:Friday | March 7, 2014 | 8:04 AM

Opposition spokesman on local government Desmond McKenzie is calling for the Office of the Contractor General (OCG) to conduct a follow-up probe into the operations of the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA).



Speaking in the House of Representatives McKenzie said he noted a recent OCG report on the agency which was tabled in the Senate last week.



That report had found that the NSWMA committed breaches of the Government’s procurement rules in the award and termination of several contracts under the leadership of former executive director, Joan Gordon-Webley, during the period 2007-2008.



However, stating that the agency is now in the worst state it has ever been, McKenzie said the OCG owed it to itself and the country to conduct a follow-up probe on the situation since the new Administration took over in 2012.



McKenzie called for local government minister, Noel Arscott, to address the issues plaguing the NSWMA in the upcoming budget debate.



He noted that a report from the executive director of the NSWMA showed that although the Authority sought $8.2 billion this year to finance its operations, it only received $2.5 billion.



McKenzie argued that this was inadequate given inadequacies in garbage collection and sanitation to control rat infestation.



WATCH: THE GLEANER MINUTE




Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Email: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com