UN struggles to stem cholera epidemic in Haiti
NEW YORK, April 20, CMC – Since the cholera outbreak began in Haiti in October 2010, the United Nations continues to struggle to stem the epidemic in the French speaking Caribbean country.
According to a report published in the Sunday edition of the New York Times, - “Haiti is even less equipped to tackle cholera than it was three years ago.”
It noted that the United Nations has barely raised a fourth of the US$38 million needed last year to provide lifesaving supplies, including the most basic, like water purification tablets.
Pedro Medrano Rojas, the United Nations secretary general’s newly appointed envoy for the cholera outbreak has attributed the shortfall to global “donor fatigue” in the face of other humanitarian crises.
“Had we had the resources it would have been different,” Medrano said. “It’s not expensive. No one should be dying from cholera.”
Since the outbreak began 8,562 people in Haiti have died of cholera.
The report also said new infections have declined, following the typical trajectory of an epidemic, from a peak of more than 350,000 reported cases in 2011 to just over 50,000 cases in 2013.
Haiti’s cholera outbreak has since spread to three countries in the region the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Mexico.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH: