Tue | Dec 7, 2021

Cell-site data places Coudray-Greaves and accused killer in same area

Published:Friday | May 16, 2014 | 9:00 AM

Christopher Thomas – Gleaner Writer


A police investigator yesterday testified that cell-site analysis placed both deceased Trinidadian school-teacher Michelle Coudray-Greaves and taxi operator Ivan Taylor - the man accused of her murder - in the general area where the Trinidadian’s burnt remains were found.

“At 3:06 a.m. on June 2, 2012, there was a system call sent to the number attributed to Ivan Taylor, in the Mount Salem cell-site coverage area.

This is in the vicinity of the cane-field where the charred remains were found,” Inspector Warren Williams, of the Communication Forensic and Cyber-Crime Unit, told the St James Circuit Court.

“At 1:38 a.m., Coudray-Greaves received a communication (to her phone) through the Cornwall Regional Hospital cell-site…that call was received between Cornwall Regional Hospital and into the Westgate area.

All three cell-sites are in the same area…the users of the two phones can access and were in the Mount Salem, Cornwall and Westgate cell-site coverage area on June 2,” Williams added.

Another police witness, Detective Inspector Linton Bailey, testified that on June 9, 2012, he made contact with Taylor while carrying out investigations prior to the discovery of Coudray-Greaves’ remains.

“I told him (Taylor) that I was investigating a missing person, and that I had information that she (Coudray-Greaves) was seen in his taxi on the night of June 1,” Bailey testified.

“He said, ‘yes, officer, on the night I was running taxi, and I saw her at her gate, she beckoned to me, I went down the road … and came back and picked her up and then let her off at the Number One post office in Montego Bay.”

Trinidadian orthodontist Dr Sastri Harnarayan, who had served as Coudray-Greaves’ dentist, told the court that on June 12, 2012, he provided an x-ray of Coudray-Greaves’ dental work, to aid in identifying her remains.

The prosecution is attempting to use call-data to determine whether or not the deceased woman and Taylor were in the same general vicinity at the time she reportedly went missing on the night of June 1, 2012.

The burnt remains of Coudray-Greaves, who formerly taught language at Cornwall College, had to be identified through DNA evidence and her dental records.

These were provided by her mother, Trinidad and Tobago gender minister Marlene Coudray, who was the first witness for the prosecution.

Taylor, who has been in police custody since he was charged for Coudray-Greaves’ murder on June 30, 2012, has consistently declared that he is innocent of the charge.


Like our new Facebook page:

Gleaner Jamaica

Follow us on Twitter: