World News August 19 2026

Opposition wants election security

Updated 12 hours ago 2 min read

Loading article...

Vehicles that were set on fire by armed gangs sit in the Cite Soleil neighborhood of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, May 12. Vehicles that were set on fire by armed gangs sit in the Cite Soleil neighborhood of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, May 12.

PORT-AU-PRINCE (CMC):

Haitian politician and lawyer André Michel has called for “a minimum level of security” to be restored before elections are held in the French-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country.

Michel, who has previously declared his intention to run for president, made the appeal ahead of a visit by an Organisation of American States (OAS) delegation that includes CARICOM Secretary-General Dr Carla Barnett. He warned that “without a minimum level of security, armed gangs will win the elections”.

OAS Secretary-General Albert R. Ramdin, who is leading the delegation of regional and international partners to Haiti this week, said the visit aims not only to demonstrate solidarity but also to strengthen coordination and support progress in security, elections, institutional strengthening, humanitarian assistance and long-term development.

Last week, Prime Minister Alix Didier Fils-Aimé said “the elections will take place this year, no matter what” as the Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) published its final list of approved political groups.

The CEP has scheduled the first round of long-delayed presidential and legislative elections, alongside a constitutional referendum, for December 13. The vote would be the first since 2016, when President Jovenel Moïse was elected. Moïse was assassinated on July 7, 2021.

In his statement, Michel, who has described himself as a human rights and anti-corruption lawyer, said Haiti should use the presence of the OAS-CARICOM delegation “to reiterate the need to restore a minimum level of security before the elections are held in Haiti”.

“Unblocking the national highways remains the fundamental condition for holding the elections,” he said, adding, “we cannot hold elections only to hand power back to armed gangs and their political allies.

“The international community and the government must assume their responsibilities. I will register to vote in Port-au-Prince this week,” he said, urging supporters and sympathisers to do the same.

“Security is essential for a successful electoral process. The transition has gone on for too long. It must end,” Michel said.

Meanwhile, local media reports say Germany is considering a contribution to the Gang Suppression Force (GSF), approved by the United Nations Security Council. According to the reports, Germany is willing to provide airlift capacity in the short term for the force, which will include personnel from Chad, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, Bangladesh, Guatemala and Côte d’Ivoire.

The reports said Germany is expected to transport equipment and supplies for troops operating in Haiti in the coming weeks.

According to the deployment schedule, the goal for August is to increase the force to between 2,000 and 2,500 soldiers and police officers with the arrival of the second half of the Chadian contingent, complementing the planned deployment of 1,500 soldiers and the first specialised units from Sri Lanka.

A large deployment of forces from Latin America and Asia is expected in September as the mission seeks to extend operations beyond Port-au-Prince. Contingents are expected from Guatemala, El Salvador and Côte d’Ivoire.

The priority will be targeted, intelligence-led operations in the Artibonite department and stronger protection for humanitarian corridors.

Authorities hope to achieve full deployment of 5,500 military and police personnel, along with 50 civilian advisers, by October, with the arrival of the main contingent from Bangladesh and police units from The Bahamas and Jamaica.