Mon | Aug 21, 2017

'Jamaicans taking disaster prep more seriously'

Published:Saturday | August 6, 2016 | 8:00 AM
Davis

Director general of the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management Major Clive Davis has said that Jamaicans have made strides in terms of their responsiveness to the threat of natural disasters.

Davis said that evidence of this was seen in the public's reaction to the threat of Tropical Storm Earl earlier this week.

"When we are able to ask merchants to open at 3 p.m. on a public holiday and they do it; when we can ask householders to take precautions and our reports indicate that they did; when we announce to the public about the cancellation of mass events and they respond, we are very comforted by that. It tells me that Jamaicans are taking the business of hurricane and earthquake preparedness very seriously," he said. He advised persons to remain vigilant as the hurricane season continues.

 

SAFETY FIRST

 

"One of the things we recommended to persons in the wake of an impending storm is to take stock of your own safety. Determine if you can make it to where you need to go and return safely before you venture out. We continue to implore persons not to cross flooded roadways even if it appears safe or if there is no rain in the immediate area," he pointed out.

Davis said it is imperative for everyone to consider his or her own circumstances and make informed decisions. "In the event of a threat, we ask persons on the ground to take stock of your individual situation and personal safety and make your decisions based on that," he said.