Digicel educating customers
THE EDITOR, Sir:
I write in response to letter from Pauline Peart that appeared in The Gleaner on Thursday, July, 23, 2015 regarding data charges taken from her account balance.
First, we would like to thank Ms Peart for her feedback. We are in the process of making contact with her to get additional information regarding her concerns.
As our customer care representative would have shared with Ms Peart, it is most likely that her credit was used towards data services. A smartphone, once connected to any network and has the mobile data option turned on, will start carrying out automated functions such as updating background applications (apps). This will be done once credit is available on the handset or the user has activated a data plan.
This is a feature of all smartphones, regardless of your service provider, as smartphones are constantly communicating with the data network.
Digicel is committed to providing customers with access to fast, reliable Internet everywhere in Jamaica, as well as access to the latest and most affordable smartphones and data plans.
However, in doing so, we also recognise the need to educate customers fully on the capabilities of the smartphone and how they can get the most out of their data plans. We currently do this through:
- Customer care which is free and operates 24 hours.
- Retail stores - Our in-store agents are equipped to walk customers through all the features of their smartphones and how to get the most out of them.
- Data doctors who give useful information and tips on everything about the smartphone. They do this through social media (Facebook, Twitter and YouTube) as well as through TV and radio programmes.
Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to remind customers of a few tips to prevent unwanted data charges:
- Turn off 'mobile data' if you do not wish to use any data service.
- Sign out or close apps when you're not using them.
- Uninstall any apps you do not actively use.
- While using data, check your credit occasionally. You can refer to the data usage apps on your phone or download an app to monitor your usage.
Again, we value feedback from our customers and assure them that Digicel remains focused on doing everything to ensure that they always have the best data experience with us and in Jamaica.
Director of Customer Solutions