Sat | Aug 19, 2017

Government reviewing fine for improper garbage disposal

Published:Wednesday | April 27, 2016 | 4:36 AM
The current penalty for improper disposal of garbage in public places is $2,000. The government wants this fine to be increased.

Local government Minister Desmond McKenzie says his ministry is hoping to increase the penalty for improper disposal of garbage in public places before the end of this year.

The current penalty is $2,000, but McKenzie says this doesn't deter offenders, particularly those who dump commercial waste.

McKenzie says an appropriate fine has not yet been decided on.

However, he says a legal team from the Local government ministry is reviewing the current fine to determine an appropriate increase.

He says his ministry will be able to announce the new proposed fine during the next sectoral debates, which usually follows the budget debates.

McKenzie explains that an increase in the penalty will require an amendment to the Solid Waste Act.

He says in addition to increasing the fine, the government will be increasing the number of Municipal Police officers islandwide to enforce the law governing disposal of garbage.

McKenzie first suggested an increase in the penalty for improper garbage disposal at a Town Hall Meeting in the Montego Bay last week.