Fri | Aug 18, 2017

Speculation ... Prison boss says no evidence Kartel recording behind bars

Published:Thursday | March 2, 2017 | 3:13 AM
Vybz Kartel

The Commissioner of Corrections has finally made a public statement on the controversy of the recording of music by convicted dancehall entertainer Vybz Kartel from prison.

The Corrections Commissioner says the claims are only speculations at this point.

Vybz Kartel has been in the custody of the Department of Correctional Service for almost six years now and over that period has released several songs.

However, according to the Corrections Commissioner Ina Hunter, claims that he is recording from prison may only be regarded as speculation as there has been no evidence to confirm that this is indeed happening.

She, however, says an investigation is continuing to determine the truth and promises that the findings will be made public.

 

Corrections Commissioner Ina Hunter

Hunter says as part of the investigation some correctional officers will have to do a lie-detector test to determine if they have been helping Kartel to record from prison.

She says if the officers fail the tests they could be dismissed.

Hunter has also revealed that there have been searches and transfers of correctional officers because of speculation that Kartel had been recording in prison.

Last year, Kartel was removed from the Horizon Adult Remand Centre to the Tower Street Adult Correctional Facility for confinement amid claims he was making songs behind bars.

At the time prison authorities had also said an investigation was underway into the claims.

Just two days ago, State Minister for National Security Pearnel Charles Jr, announced that correctional officers and recruits would be polygraphed.

It was among nine security measures the minister says will help to turn around what he called the dysfunctional system.

X-ray machines and metal detectors are also to be installed in maximum security prisons.