Q&A with Robert Russell
Reggae Sumfest Director and Deputy Chairman Robert Russell helped to create the renown music festival in 1993. He is an integral member of the Sumfest family and enjoys the phenomenal performances and exuberant display of Jamaican culture each year. This popular tycoon and owner of Pier 1 nightclub in Montego Bay, took some time out of his busy schedule to share some tidbits of himself and what he is looking forward to for Reggae Sumfest 2018.
1. Do you have any hobbies outside of music?
My hobbies outside of music are bird shooting and fishing.
2. What is your favorite song or artiste and why?
My favorite song is 'We Are The World, because it highlights the need for giving to children in need who desperately need our help.
3. Who would you want to see live in concert that you have never seen before (dead or alive)?
I would like to see Bruno Mars perform here in Jamaica.
4. When in a good mood, which song would you sing in the shower?
Sometimes I sing Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel, if I'm in a good mood in the shower.
5.What do you do to start your day?
I try to exercise some mornings, but I usually end up having fruit while listening to the early-morning news.
6. What is your most prized possession?
I don't place a lot of importance on possessions. I give God thanks for health and strength, and I am grateful for the many blessings that have been bestowed on me.
7. What is your liquor of choice?
My choice of liquor is a good VSOP Cognac.
8. What are you looking forward to the most from this year's Sumfest?
I am hoping for good weather and good performances from all the artistes, and, of course, some good curry goat and roti.
9. Do you have any pet peeves?
I have a problem with drivers who disregard traffic lights, who don't understand that red means stop - not go. I lost a friend who was killed by a driver speeding through a red light.
10. What is your philosophy/saying that you live by?
I believe that the same way you spread your bed in the morning is the same way you sleep on it in the night. Help as many people that you can because what goes around comes around. We are not here for a long time, so make it a good time for as many people that you can.