Mon | Jun 17, 2019

Wint: We had no 'agreement'

Published:Saturday | October 13, 2018 | 12:00 AMLivingston Scott
Wint

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) general secretary Dalton Wint is in the dark about an agreement between Leon Bailey and the federation ahead of his arrival in the island earlier this week.

In an interview with The Gleaner, Bailey said that the JFF backtracked on a prior agreement to facilitate his entry into the Reggae Boyz squad for tomorrow's League of Nations match against Bonaire.

However, Wint, who chaired a meeting with the Bayer Leverkusen player in the absence of president, Michael Ricketts, denied knowing of any agreement with him (Wint) or the president (Ricketts) before Bailey's arrival.

"I don't know about any agreement. The only time I spoke to Leon was at the meeting a few days ago. The only agreement we had was to give an opportunity to all players. No door is closed on any player," he said.

He admitted that Leon had been invited while Kyle had not been invited, which was the source of Bailey's disappointment, however, he says that there will be other opportunities.

"It was a disappointment to him, but there was no agreement to call Kyle or him for this game. He made it known that he was available. There was one position available because of an injury to a player, and we made that position available to him, although we could have called another person. Kyle wasn't called for the Bonaire game. We only called one person, and that was Leon. But the two of them have been called before and they will have an opportunity to be called again.

"I think we will have a resolution by the next game in November as I am almost sure that if he continues to play well, the coach will call him," Wint said.