Disney's magic meets Jamaican rhythms
The magic of Disney meets the magical isle of Jamaica, as Walt Disney Records readies an album of classic Disney songs newly recorded by a cross-section of top reggae musicians. The Disney Reggae Club features songs from immortal Disney animated films - from The Little Mermaid to Jungle Book - recorded by such esteemed artistes as Grammy-winning reggae legend Toots (of Toots and the Maytals fame), five-time Grammy winner Ziggy Marley, reggae's most prolific and long-lasting production team Sly and Robbie, multiple-Grammy winner Cedella Marley, Grammy winner Burning Spear, legendary British band UB40 and Hasidic rapper Matisyahu. The album is set to arrive in stores and at online retailers on June 8.
"The genius of Disney songs is that they are timeless and adaptable to every musical genre," said executive producer Brian Malouf. "Reggae is so joyous and spirited, we knew these songs would lend themselves perfectly.
I'm happy to say the artistes, many of them true legends of reggae, all jumped at the chance to participate."
Artistes and tracks included on the album are:
1. Circle of Life (from The Lion King) performed by Matisyahu
2. Can You Feel the Love Tonight (from The Lion King) performed by Cedella Marley
3. The Bare Necessities (from The Jungle Book) performed by Steel Pulse
4. The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Desmond Dekker's reggae classic also featured in The Lion King) performed by Morgan Heritage
5. What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong classic) performed by Ziggy Marley
6. True to Your Heart (from Mulan) performed by The Wailing Souls
7. You've Got a Friend in Me (from Toy Story) performed by Sly and Robbie
8. Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (from Song of the South) performed by Toots
9. I Wan'na Be Like You (from The Jungle Book) performed by UB40
10. Ev'rybody Wants to Be a Cat (from The Aristocats) performed by Michael G and the Easy Star All-Stars
11. Kiss The Girl (from The Little Mermaid) performed by Burning Spear
12. Under The Sea (from The Little Mermaid) performed by Gregory Isaacs
13. Find Yourself (from Cars) performed by Yellowman
- Business Wire