Mon | Feb 8, 2016

Family sets up trust fund in memory of murdered man

Published:Thursday | April 21, 2011 | 12:00 AM
Audrey Budal speaking about her husband, who was killed in St Mary nearly two years ago. - PHOTO BY LEON POUNALL

Leon Pounall, Gleaner Writer


THE FAMILY of Anthony Budal, who was was brutally murdered in Lucky Hill, St Mary, in 2009, has set up a trust fund in his honour and is offering a reward for the capture of the perpetrator.

The Anthony Budal Trust Fund has been set up in Jamaica and London to empower and motivate individuals who are victims of crime. The family is yet to sign off on a figure for the reward, but wants persons with information to contact the local police.

Bitterness and loneliness are some of the emotions Audrey Budal has been left to contend with since the murder of her husband nearly two years ago.

Budal was also known as Tony and Father Abraham, because of his love and adoration for children. Tears slowly ran down Mrs Budal's cheeks as she vented to The Gleaner about her husband's demise.

"He was a good man. I have known him since I was 15 years old, he has been the only man in my life. We have been married for over 15 years; he was very loving and giving," she remarked in a melancholy voice.

She was speaking with The Gleaner last week at Claude Stewart Park in Port Maria, St Mary.

certified electrician

Budal, who hails from Lucky Hill, migrated to England in his childhood. He was a certified electrician and foster parent and was in the process of doing an adoption at the time of his death. He returned to Jamaica, where he purchased lands, and was making plans for his family to come to Jamaica. He also had dreams of returning to help his community, which had been his aspiration since he migrated.

While in Jamaica, Budal went into farming. He wanted to surprise his wife so he did not say much about the venture. Budal was scheduled to leave the island at the end of October 2009, but extended his stay to complete his business.

Mrs Budal, who was in England at the time, constantly made contact with her husband. However, this particular time when she called, the phone rang without an answer. This aroused her suspicion as he always answered his phone. Her son later broke the news to her. She immediately passed out and had to be taken to the doctor.

Audrey, who has exhausted all means of getting justice, feels the police did not do a professional job with the handling of the investigation, which has left her disheartened.

"I will go through all the necessary channels and avenues to get justice, and ensure that my husband didn't die like a dog. Where I am from, this is what taxpayers pay for," she remarked.