Jamaica Village event cancelled

Published: Saturday | April 7, 2012 Comments 0

Organisers announce news just months before the London Olympics is set to begin

Trudy Simpson, Voice Reporter

FEARS RAISED over an extravaganza that aimed to showcase Jamaica in London have been realised after organisers cancelled the event months shy of the London Olympics.

Jamaica Village, a 10-day extravaganza, had been planned for Finsbury Park, in north London, in August, but its organisers have now said the event will not go ahead.

"Despite significant support from the public and private sector, we have been unable to raise sufficient funding to execute the event," Jamaica Village Limited Managing Director Danielle Cameron Duncan told The Voice. "Jamaica Village Limited will not be planning an alternative event."

Earlier this year, concerns were raised over whether the 10-day event, slated for August 3 to 12, would go ahead when organisers appeared to go quiet for months after launching their plans in Jamaica last June.

In January, while speaking exclusively to The Voice, Cameron Duncan said the event would be held, stating that organisers hoped to secure more than 19 Jamaica, Caribbean, and black diaspora 'crossover' artistes, including top acts such as Shaggy.

DELAYED LICENCE, STRICT IMPOSITIONS

But last week, rumours of a cancellation arose. Jamaica Village Limited also issued a statement on Friday (March 23), in which its chairman, Clifton Cameron, confirmed the event's cancellation.

In January, organisers admitted that it had taken them months just to get an operating licence from local council Haringey so they could continue planning the event. They had hoped to attract 15,000 visitors a day.

A Haringey licensing committee document seen by The Voice in January showed the conditions were imposed after local "interested parties" raised "key concerns of security and noise".

It revealed that Jamaica Village, which was expected to operate from 11 a.m. until 11 p.m. each day, would have had to meet conditions such as ensuring three quiet days during the event, that bars closed at 10 p.m., and that all visitors were searched.

Haringey Council declined to comment on why it had placed such conditions on the organisers.

Share |

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner.
The Gleaner reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent. Please keep comments short and precise. A maximum of 8 sentences should be the target. Longer responses/comments should be sent to "Letters of the Editor" using the feedback form provided.
blog comments powered by Disqus