Sting bans Sizzla, D'Angel - Stinging criticisms come from organisers
Davina Henry, Staff Reporter
Dancehall artistes D'Angel and Sizzla Kalonji are facing the wrath of Supreme Promotions boss Isaiah Laing, after the two behaved in a less-than-complimentary manner at Sting 30 last week.
Sizzla will no longer be able to perform at Sting, while D'Angel won't even be able to enter the venue during the event.
"We had a meeting on Saturday and we, Heavy D and myself, came to the decision to ban Sizzla Kalonji and D'Angel from Sting. Sizzla was warned repeatedly before going onstage about not promoting hate music and he went up there and did it repeatedly. We are going international and we warned every artiste before they went on to the stage," said Laing.
"We are banning D'Angel as a patron also. We don't want your money D'Angel. Stay home. Watch the event on pay-per-view," Laing told The Gleaner.
"What kind of image is D'Angel portraying as a mother? She's saying she came to clash but that's not how the clash went. It was not about Ninja Man, she embarrassed herself. At least a five-year ban for D'Angel."
At the time of the interview, the artistes had not yet learnt of the ban.
D'Angel's phone went straight to voicemail, while efforts to contact Sizzla also proved futile.
REASON FOR BAN
The ban comes as a result of Sizzla's set where he reportedly went against agreed-upon protocol to lambaste homosexuality on several occasions.
D'Angel, who was not scheduled as a performer, took to the mic, climbing from the VIP section to tackle Ninja Man in a lyrical battle that became more than a little raunchy.
With renewed criticism surrounding the 30th staging of Sting, the promoters also released a statement distancing themselves from certain utterances and behaviour displayed onstage, calling them "inconsistent with their efforts to provide energetic and authentic Jamaican entertainment".
"Sharp lyrical exchanges and colourful performances are staples of our annual offering, however, in accordance with our efforts to internationalise the event, we strive to ensure that the performances conform to accepted standards of decency and decorum," the statement to the media read.
It continued, that of the 11 hours of superb performances, there was only 15 minutes (an approximation) which could be deemed problematic.
"We believe that our artistes will take note of the observations which will assist us in effecting the kinds of control that we have been working assiduously to maintain and introduce. We wish to commend the majority of artistes who appeared on the show and performed in accordance with the standards which are reflective of our objectives.
"We have written to the artistes about their behaviour at the event, and we are committed to further steps when and where necessary," Laing told The Gleaner, before disclosing the decision to ban the two artistes.
"We thank the public and our sponsors for their continuous support, without which we would not have been able to boast three decades of existence. We remain committed to advancing reggae, dancehall music, and the industry. We will continue to strive to improve our product and are confident that with your support we will achieve our aim," the release ended.