Tue | Jun 18, 2019

Green Island High School trio offered bail

Published:Friday | March 30, 2018 | 12:41 AMAdrian Frater

 

Western Bureau:
 

The three Green Island High School students, who were arrested and charged following an incident in which they allegedly attacked and beat a bus conductor, will spend the Easter holiday with their families after being offered bail on their second court appearance Wednesday.

The boys were arrested and subsequently charged following an incident outside their Hanover-located school on March 7, where it was reported that five boys attacked and beat a bus conductor. They reportedly used stones to damage the bus in which the conductor made his escape.

The other two boys who were implicated in the incident are still on the run as the efforts of the police to locate them through their parents have failed. One of the parents, who claimed she was unaware of the whereabouts of her son, was arrested by the police and charged with child neglect.

 “We have still not located the other two boys,” said Superintendent Sharon Beeput, the commanding officer of the Hanover police division.

“We arrested the mother of one of the boys, as she claims that she does not know where her son is, while we have given the other mother, who is showing a willingness to cooperate, some extra time to locate and bring in her son.”                  

 On Tuesday, 41-year-old Karen Williams, a housekeeper of Cousins Cove, in Hanover, was arrested after she told the police that she did not know where to find her son who, before the incident, was living with her. She has since appeared in court on a charge of child neglect. She is slated to re-appear in court on April 4.

“We are in contact with this other mother and we have been quite lenient with her so far,” said Beeput.

“While we have been working with her, we can’t wait forever. So unless she keeps her end of the bargain, we will just have no choice but to arrest her as well.”

When the boys, who were offered bail, appeared in the Lucea Family Court on Wednesday, unlike their first appearance, when they were remanded, they were given the good news of their bail offer. One boy was offered bail in the sum of $70,000 while the other two were offered bail in the sum of $30,000 each.

As part of their bail condition, the boys will be required to abide by a court-imposed curfew order, which will require that they must not be seen outside of their homes between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. It was not immediately clear whether they would be allowed to attend school.

After their first  court appearance, the boys were remanded in custody and were locked up at the Metcalfe Street Correctional Centre in Kingston.

adrian.frater@gleanerjm.com