Mon | Dec 6, 2021

Notorious ‘Shortman’ for court today - Accused gangster facing murder, gun charges

Published:Thursday | November 5, 2020 | 12:18 AMHopeton Bucknor/Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

Accused killer Ainsley ‘Shortman’ Woodburn, who has been tagged with at least seven murders by the St James police, is slated to appear in the St James Parish Court today to answer murder and gun-related charges.

Woodburn, who was allegedly behind last year’s reign of terror in Belfont district in Cambridge, St James, was apprehended at a bar in St Ann on August 18 during a police-military operation.

The Cambridge police charged Woodburn with two counts of murder, one count of shooting with intent, and one count of illegal possession of firearm and ammunition.

One of the murder charges stemmed from an incident on August 31, 2019, in which it was alleged that Woodburn murdered businessman Conrad Lawrence, who was shot in Belfont.

Lawrence was driving home from work in his Voxy minibus when he was ambushed by Woodstock, who shot him multiple times, reports say. The wounded businessman tried to drive away but ended up in a pineapple field, where he was again shot multiple times.

Unlike fellow gangsters Ryan ‘Ratty’ Peterkin and Delano ‘Preckeh Boy’ Wilmott, who targeted Cambridge, the police said Woodstock operated as a loner and was much-feared in the underworld.

“Shortman, or Short Boss, as he is called, was not only a cold-hearted killer, but he was also a gun for hire,” a police officer told The Gleaner.

“He was one of the deadliest criminals we have seen in the Cambridge space, and you must remember that is the area where Ratty and Preckeh Boy hang out.”

The police reported that Woodstock, under pressure from detectives, reportedly fled to St Ann, where he was captured.

“The family of his victims will now get a chance to see him face justice,” the police officer, who requested anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press, said.

editorial@gleanerjm.com