NSWMA expands garbage collection with increased private sector support
The National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA) continues to intensify garbage collection islandwide, clearing communities of waste and debris in the aftermath of Hurricane Melissa.
Addressing a press briefing at Jamaica House on Wednesday, Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Desmond McKenzie, announced that more private operators have been introduced to assist with the collection process.
“We are expanding the workload of the National Solid Waste Management Authority to ensure that [priority] areas that have been affected get the attention that is required to help to minimise any further outbreaks.
“That does not say that we are not concentrating on any other areas. But the areas that have been outlined by the Ministry of Health [and Wellness] are the areas that we are paying some attention to. Normal garbage collection still continues, and we have been ramping up the collections. We have brought on more private trucks in the system, so you will see much more activities,” he said.
Last week, the Ministry of Health declared a leptospirosis outbreak following the passage of Category 5 Hurricane Melissa, which made landfall on October 28 and caused catastrophic damage across the country.
Leptospirosis poses a significant public health risk after heavy rainfall, flooding, or major disasters. The bacteria thrive in water contaminated by the urine of infected animals, especially rats but also cats, dogs, and livestock.
Anyone who comes into contact with contaminated water, soil, or mud is at risk, including farmers, clean-up crews, emergency responders, and residents navigating flooded areas.
Meanwhile, McKenzie called for patience from Jamaicans as the men and women of the Authority continue clearing communities of garbage.
“We have to ensure that they have the adequate gears to go out there to collect this level of waste. It’s not the normal commercial or residential waste that we’re talking about… so I’m saying to the country, treat these men and women with respect. They are doing a job that many Jamaicans would not do. They are committed to it and they have been working 24 hours around the clock since the outbreak,” he said.
- JIS News
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.

