News February 20 2026

Farmers in Trelawny warned against bush fires as dry season approaches

1 min read

Loading article...

File photo.

The fire department in Trelawny is appealing to farmers to desist from setting bush fires as the dry season approaches.

Superintendent Roland Walters, speaking in an interview with The Gleaner, urged farmer to act responsibly when using fire, particularly to clear land in preparation for planting of crops.

“We are entering the dry season and it is easy for fire to escape. So I ask members of the public to act responsibly when it comes to fire,” said Walters, a 36-year veteran firefighter.

His appeal comes against the background of significant fire activity across the parish last year.

It was disclosed that the Trelawny fire department responded to over 400 fire calls in 2025.

“We responded to 429 calls between January to December last year. We saved an estimated $5 billion in property damage. Sadly, an estimated $900 million was lost,” Walters said.

Of the total number of incidents, 250 were bush fires.

Structural fires accounted for 51, while 94 involved dumps.

Walters also reported that 51 people were left homeless after their dwellings were destroyed by fire.

- Leon Jackson

Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.