Update | 21-y-o police constable charged for murder of St Mary businessman
Loading article...
A policeman has been charged for the murder of St Mary businessman Garfield Singh, who was gunned down at his home in Boscobel last week.
Further, another policeman has also been charged for allegedly failing to tell the authorities about Singh’s killing.
Charged with murder, conspiracy to murder, using a firearm to commit a felony, possession of a prohibited weapon, unauthorised possession of ammunition, stockpiling ammunition, dealing in firearms and ammunition, and possession of criminal property is 21-year-old Constable Qwaine Blake, who is attached to the police’s traffic department. He also faces several breaches of the Road Traffic Act.
Constable Daz Haynes, 25, who is also attached to the traffic department, is charged with misprision of felony. The police say additional charges are being considered against him.
A third man, 19-year-old Tyrone Dacosta, of Greater Portmore, St Catherine, has been charged with possession of a prohibited weapon, unauthorised possession of ammunition and dealing in firearms and ammunition.
The police say the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions ruled yesterday that multiple charges be laid against the three men, arising from the submission of a comprehensive case file based on operations conducted between February 9 and 10.
Reports are that on February 9, during an operation along Port Henderson Road in Portmore, St Catherine, cops intercepted a motor vehicle.
According to the police, a search led to the seizure of a Taurus 9mm pistol, ammunition and a sum of cash.
A subsequent search of the vehicle uncovered an M16 rifle and additional ammunition, the police reported.
What initially began as a firearms and prohibited weapons investigation, detectives say, took a significant turn as ballistic and other investigative leads emerged.
The police say that during the course of the probe, investigators determined that the firearms and individuals were linked to the murder of Singh at his home in Boscobel in the early hours of February 9.
They say the evidence was compiled and submitted to the DPP’s office, which ruled on charges.
Meanwhile, addressing the investigation, the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) said that at no point did the JCF intend to isolate the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) from the investigation.
Yesterday, the oversight body issued a statement in which it expressed serious concern about media reports that the JCF was pursuing active investigations into allegations of police-involved shootings without any notification to the commission, formal or otherwise.
INDECOM noted that the JCF is legally bound to notify the commission forthwith of any incident involving conduct by its members that results in the death of, or injury to, any person.
“The failure by the JCF to refer these matters to INDECOM undermines the statutory oversight framework established by Jamaica’s Parliament and compromises the transparency and independence intended in investigations of alleged police-involved incidents,” it said.
Today, the JCF said senior representatives of INDECOM were formally briefed during a meeting on Thursday, February 19, by the JCF on the nature, scope, and progression of the investigation.
It said all relevant files and investigative materials were made available to the oversight body.
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.