FIFA bans four Uruguay players for disorder at World Cup
ZURICH (AP) — FIFA banned Uruguay players Fernando Muslera and José María Giménez for four games each on Friday for aggressively confronting match officials when the team was eliminated from the World Cup last month.
Veterans Edinson Cavani and Diego Godín must also serve one-game bans when Uruguay next plays, FIFA said in disciplinary verdicts.
The players must all carry out community service on a soccer project and pay fines of up to 20,000 Swiss francs, FIFA said.
Disorder flared when Uruguay failed to advance to the round of 16 in Qatar despite beating Ghana 2-0 in its final group-stage game on December 2.
The Uruguayan soccer federation was also fined 50,000 Swiss francs and must close some of its stadiums for one home game.
FIFA disciplinary judges ruled the federation “was responsible for the discriminatory behaviour of its supporters as well as for the misconduct, offensive behaviour and violation of the principles of fair play” by players.
Uruguay players confronted German referee Daniel Siebert after the final whistle at Al Janoub Stadium.
They believed Uruguay should been awarded a penalty kick in stoppage time. One more goal scored would have sent Uruguay to the round of 16 instead of South Korea.
South Korea advanced instead and created one of the most memorable images of the World Cup.
Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.