Meadforest ready to compete in JFF’s Tier II
President Henry: Whatever the repercussions, we are following the parent body
Meadforest Football Club president Daglalish Henry says his club will be taking up the Jamaica Football Federation’s (JFF) offer to participate in the National Tier II playoffs despite possible repercussions from the Kingston and St Andrew Football...
Meadforest Football Club president Daglalish Henry says his club will be taking up the Jamaica Football Federation’s (JFF) offer to participate in the National Tier II playoffs despite possible repercussions from the Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA).
Last week, the JFF sent out letters to the parish associations, asking them to name their representatives for the Tier II playoffs and competition.
However, KSAFA, which had held this position since the inception of the tournament, voted to continue to refrain from taking part.
Meadforest, one of the teams with a slot, have written to the JFF to indicate their desire to take up their place in the competition’s playoffs.
Last Thursday, the JFF wrote to KSAFA, naming Super League champions Real Mona as KSAFA’s automatic qualifiers for the Tier II and runners-up Meadforest as the automatic qualifiers for the playoffs. Boys’ Town and Barbican were named as standbys in case either of those clubs refuses the invitation.
If Real Mona decline their invitation, Meadforest would take the league slot and Boys’ Town the playoff spot.
If both Real Mona and Meadforest refuse to take up the offer, Boys’ Town would get the league spot, and Barbican would go into the playoffs.
However, Henry has already declared his intention to take up the JFF’s offer even though they could be reprimanded by KSAFA for their actions.
“We received an email from the JFF with the signature of Ian Kemble, competitions chairman, copied to Mr Michael Ricketts (president) and the general secretary (Dennis Chung).
“They have invited Real Mona, Meadforest, Boys’ Town, and Barbican to indicate their willingness to participate in the Tier II league by February 1.
“This is a direct invitation to the clubs. We want to move forward, and we will be doing this early. I am meeting with my (executive) team, and we will be sending our response by Wednesday,” Henry told The Gleaner.
“We are going to participate. The club is behind it, and the community is behind it.
“Whatever the repercussions, we are following the parent body (JFF).
“We are in training, and we have put through some transfers this weekend, with players coming in to strengthen the team.
“We are determined to take the club to the highest level, and Tier II is the route, which is clearly defined by the JFF. So there is no choice. That is the only way we can get there.”
KSAFA had, a few days before, written to the JFF General Secretary, Chung, to explain their position. They pointed out that the association had clearly outlined that there would be no relegation or promotion for the truncated one-round season after competition returned following a break for the COVID-19 pandemic. They also noted that the JFF had sanctioned a similar move for the Premier League previously.
It said the decision not to participate was twice confirmed and supported by the KSAFA Council, the supreme decision-making body of KSAFA and that at no time did any club object.
It added that no club that failed to meet the qualifying standards or the requirements of the association has any right to play in a football competition or represent the body.
“We view any attempt to insert an unqualified club of KSAFA in the aforesaid competition as an overreach and an abuse of the administrative process of the JFF,” it added.
Meanwhile, the JFF has asked all interested clubs to indicate their willingness to accept the spots awarded them by 5 p.m. February 1. If a club fails to do so, the spot will be awarded to the next team in line.