Sun | Nov 30, 2025

Canadian authorities look to the courts to break blockade

Published:Friday | February 11, 2022 | 9:36 AM
People block highway 75 with heavy trucks and farm equipment and access to the Canada-United States border crossing at Emerson, Manitoba, Thursday, February 10, 2022. The blockade was set up to rally against provincial and federal COVID-19 vaccine mandates and in support of Ottawa protestors. (John Woods/The Canadian Press via AP)

TORONTO (AP) — Authorities in Canada headed for court Friday in an attempt to break the bridge blockade by truckers protesting the country's COVID-19 restrictions as parts shortages rippled through the auto industry on both sides of the United States-Canadian border.

The mayor of Windsor, Ontario, planned to seek an injunction at an afternoon hearing against members of the self-proclaimed Freedom Convoy who have used scores of pickup trucks to bottle up the Ambassador Bridge connecting the city to Detroit.

The standoff entered its fifth day Friday.

Federal, provincial and local authorities have hesitated to forcibly remove the protesters there and elsewhere around the country, reflecting apparently a lack of manpower by local police, Canada's reverence for free speech, and fear of a violent backlash. Windsor Mayor Drew Dilkens warned earlier this week that some of the truckers are “willing to die.”

But the pressure to reopen the bridge appeared to be mounting, with Ford, General Motors, Toyota and Honda closing auto plants or cancelling shifts because of parts shortages, and the Biden administration urging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government to use its federal powers to end the blockade. Michigan's governor likewise called on Canadian authorities to quickly resolve the standoff.

The Ambassador Bridge is the busiest US-Canadian border crossing, carrying 25% of all trade between the two countries.

The standoff comes at a time when the auto industry is already struggling to maintain production in the face of pandemic-induced shortages of computer chips and other supply-chain disruptions.

“American legislators are freaking out, and rightfully so,” said Nelson Wiseman, a political science professor at the University of Toronto.

“Pressure is now being exerted by the White House on Trudeau to act more decisively.”

Hundreds of demonstrators in trucks have also paralysed the streets of downtown Ottawa for almost two weeks now, and have now closed three border crossings in all: at Windsor; at Coutts, Alberta, opposite Montana; and at Emerson, Manitoba, across from North Dakota.

The Freedom Convoy has been promoted and cheered on by many Fox News personalities and attracted support from the likes of former President Donald Trump.

“This is an unprecedented demonstration. It has significant levels of fundraising, coordination and communication. They have command centres established here and across the country and beyond this country,” embattled Ottawa Police Chief Peter Sloly said.

On Friday, amid signs that authorities might be prepared to get tough, police in Windsor and Ottawa awaited reinforcements from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The protests have spread outside Canada as well. Demonstrators angry over pandemic restrictions drove toward Paris in scattered convoys of camper vans, cars and trucks Friday in an effort to blockade the French capital, despite a police ban.

Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.