Family of man who died while in prison in Antigua files lawsuit
Loading article...
ST JOHNS, Antigua, CMC – The family of a 23-year-old man who died while in prison last year has filed a lawsuit seeking general and punitive damages, legal costs, and interest.
In the wrongful death suit filed against the Antigua and Barbuda government, the family of Chinlee Robinson alleges negligence by prison and police officials in his death.
The body of the 23-year-old was found dead on January 24 last year, hours after he had been granted bail on a charge of stealing a mobile phone.
Evidence heard at a Coroner’s Inquest last week highlighted conflicting accounts of the circumstances surrounding Robinson’s death.
A 15-year-old inmate told the court he heard a brief scream late on the night of January 23, before silence fell across the prison.
He also described limited overnight supervision, with inmates locked in their cells from mid-afternoon.
Medical evidence presented to the inquest found Robinson died from oxygen deprivation, neck trauma, and heart failure.
His brother told the court Robinson was a fit footballer with no known medical conditions.
Robinson had spent about five weeks in detention and was said to be distressed after learning his release was delayed due to passport issues.
Attorney Wendel Alexander, who is representing the family, has called for a full homicide investigation.
But the police have rejected the request, with Assistant Commissioner Clifton Cabral saying there was no evidence of foul play.
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.