Businessman convicted for killing lover's ex-husband
Livern Barrett, Senior Gleaner Writer
St Andrew businessman Huey Gowdie was today convicted of manslaughter in the Home Circuit Court.
Gowdie was on trial for murder arising from the shooting death of popular businessman Shango Jackson in the upscale Beverly Hills, St Andrew community in 2012.
Jackson, the former operations manager at Sparkles Productions, was shot dead at the Shenstone Drive home he shared with his ex-wife, who was reportedly involved in a romantic relationship with Gowdie.
Prosecutors argued that Gowdie went to the premises to with the intent to kill.
However, defence attorney Valerie Neita Robertson argued that Jackson was shot after he attacked Gowdie and threatened to kill him.
After deliberating for nearly two hours, the seven-member jury convicted Gowdie for manslaughter.
The verdict left some of his relatives and friends in tears.
Gowdie, who had been on bail was then taken into custody.
He is to be sentenced on on July 8.
Gowdie's attorney said she was "grateful it's not murder."
"It was a verdict based on the lack of intention to kill," said Neita Robertson.
She also indicated that she will appeal the verdict.